I have been very pleasantly surprised at how profitable manufacturing is compared to my initial expectations. October was my first full month running at speed and I made profits of 2bn ISK whilst spending only 10 minutes per day at the most on it.
I am halfway through the current month and I have made 1.7bn ISK profits.
Of all my activities I believe manufacturing is the leasst time consuming time of financing the purchase of Plex.
My strategy is similar to that I adopt in trading: I focus on the low volume, high margin items. The 0.01 players leave these alone given the low volume of sales per day. I don't focus at all on the high volume items such as ammunition.
I have a spreadsheet set up on Excel 2007 which downloads the Jita prices (from Eve Central) of the items I am selling and all the raw materials to compare the profit margins and so indicate to me which I should be producing. In all, this spreadsheet monitors 49 items so far, and the list is growing.
At present I regularly sell 26 items which at the present time is making me profits of 2bn ISK per month - hopefully 3bn this month but we will see, I am away for over half the month on business. If I sell 3 items a day giving me 35m ISK profit each then I am a happy pilot.
I own over 1bn ISK of Blueprints (which I class as expenses and hence the 2bn Profits in October covered the costs of these Blueprints).
I sell in Jita and I manufacture in the Lonetrek region. The Lonetrek region is right next door to Jita and there are always plenty of spare manufacturing slots.
I am expanding my operations into other regions to see if I can enhance my sales - so far it has started slowly but it is early days.
When I started manufacturing it was industrial ships - as of today, they would all be loss making. Has been over a month since I sold my last manufactured ship.
The great part about manufacturing is that so far it is very low maintenance. Even assuming I need to buy materials to manufacture 11 items + ship them to my manufacturing station + set up the manufacturing operations + get them to Jita to sell + update all sell orders then at the most it is 10 minutes.
I greatly suspect I could have financed the ongoing purchase of Plex if I had started in manufacturing - but that is not as certain as trading. The time taken to learn the required skills is perhaps more of a hurdle earlier in the process.
Going forwards I am merely plan to expand the number items I manufacture for now. I also am learning Spaceship Command skills given I suspect this alt will be the alt that hauls items around once my manufacturing operations expand into other regions.
My current relevant skills are:
- Mass Production 5 and Advanced Mass Production 5 allows me to manufacture 11 product items at once. Many blogs I read don't learn Advanced Mass Production 5 given the time it takes - but the one downside on being away on business a lot is that time is available to set an alt up to lean a skill that takes 30 days!
- Production Efficiency 5 allows me to use less materials to manufacture items
- Industry 5 allows me to manufacture items quicker and is required to progress in other skills
- Supply Chain Management 5 allows me to start a manufacturing job from anywhere in the same region - I am not really using this at present but I expect to use to more when I move my manufacturing operations away from Jita.
- I then have various skills that allow me to manufacture certain items such as Mechanics 5, Hull Upgrades 2, CPU Management 5, various Rigging skills, Science 5,
- Contracting 2 - allows me to set up 11 contracts to haul my items around
and because this alt places its sell orders to sell its items I have also trained in:
- Daytrading 3 - allows me to modify my sell orders up to 11 jumps away in the same Region
- Marketing 3 - allows me to place sell orders up to 10 jumps away and is required to learn other skills
- Retail 4 and Trade 4 - allows me to place a total of 53 Buy and Sell orders
- Cybernetics 4 - allows me to get the Standard implants for faster learning